Thanks to the efforts of team member, Megan Gee, the Wedgefield CERT won a Grant for some additional equipment that will help the team if we have a hurricane or other disaster. “IF” is not correct, it must be “When” because we can’t go forever without a hurricane.
We have been so very lucky since 2005 but with all of the changes in the weather this year we must all be vigilant.
These are a few things that should be considered every hurricane season:
- Check the generator to ensure that it is in good working condition.
- If you plan to cover your windows with plywood, it is in more abundance before the wind blows.
- Think about purchasing tarps
- Pick up an extra ice chest to store perishable food if the electricity is interrupted.
- How old are the batteries in your flashlights?
We have three team members with their Amateur Radio licenses and two more that will take the course/test in September but more are needed. The course is open to everyone interested, NOT just CERT members. If anyone is interested, they should contact Phil Unser at email@example.com at (407)679-6644 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
The next weekend class is scheduled for September 10th and 11th at the Orange County Communications Center.
Phil can be reached at (407) 679-6644.